Monday, January 6, 2014

More from my Hubby

He's on a roll!!!  Great words!!


The Lukewarm Christian

I just looked at the title of this passage of Revelation and the heading in the NKJV read, “The Lukewarm Church.”  It hit me that it could also say, “The Lukewarm Christian.”  If we are the church and the Lord resides in us.  Then this passage is talking to the body of the church and the individual as the walking church.  The walking church that is supposed to be the light of the world.  A moving church is supposed to be the salt of the earth.  We are the seasoning in the food.  The oregano in the spaghetti or the nutmeg in the pumpkin pie.  Without seasonings in our food it would and does taste bland.  My gorgeous wife Camille has that gluten allergy going on in the body.  Camille’s meals and food choices are extremely limited.  I feel for her every day.  Why?  Because her foods are just down right bland.  That’s just a real bummer.  The Lord calls us to season the earth with his salt.  The world tastes better with Jesus salt brother.  

 

The Lukewarm Christian/Church in Laodicea were lacking in the sea salt category.  The alpha and omega, the beginning and the end is speaking his message to John.  John the revelator says God is the Amen, faithful, true witness and the creator of the universe. 

 

“I know your works.”  Let’s just pause here for a second.  The words, “I know your works”  Pause and think.  Do a SELAH thing and ponder.  What’s the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear those words?  For me it’s when my mom said, “Keith, I know what you are doing.  You better stop it or face the belt.”  John is telling the people (us) at Laodicea, “I know your works guys and they’re neither cold nor hot.  I wish you were one or the other, but you’re not.  I mean c’mon pick one or the other, but don’t be wishy washy.  Have a backbone and make a decision.  Don’t you just hate people who can’t make a decision?  Do you want McDonald’s or Subway?  Do you want a hot or cold latte?  Ummm….well, umm, maybe, umm, what do you think?  You are killing me smalls.  It’s a cup of java, pick one and let’s get out of here. 

 

We as Christians do this same thing.  We are neither hot nor cold.  All the way in and believing God’s promises and trusting him in everything.  Solomon says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding in all thy ways acknowledge me and I will direct your paths.” (Prov. 3:5,6)  That’s a good word mister wisest man in the world king.  Oh, and you kinda had boo ko bucks too.  (Squirrel moment- ?  So, you had like a couple thousand wives…did you know all their names by heart?)  Folks we need to jump into Jesus or get out of the way.  Take your towel and go back to the locker room and change your clothes.  Why?  Because you are putting on your swimming suit and walking around the pool.  You never get in all the way.  I know your works.  You sit down and dangle your feet into the pool.  Oh, once you got in the shallow end up to your waist.  Then you looked around and saw your friend’s expression and got back out.  You dried off and went to the snack bar for a smoothie.  God said that he will vomit you out of his mouth.  Lukewarm tastes gross and it makes God sick to his stomach and he up chucks.  God gets GERD when we are not fully committed to him and his word.  That’s a medical condition, gastric reflux disorder.  Basically, when you eat your food it goes down your throat.  As the food travels down it gets to a cross road where it is rejected and says….bye bye, not coming any further.

 

Remember this scripture, “Taste and see that I am good.”  David wrote that in Ps. 34:8, and how appropriate.  God is good even to the taste.  A taste that you don’t get sick of or have a stomach ache from.  You are filled to overflowing.  David also talked about how his cup overflows, and runs over the brim.  That’s our God church/Christian, a God of abundance and overflowing.  A God who loves the world  so much he gave up his only son for you and me. (John 3:16)

 

So, here’s the plane coming in for the final approach.  Do you want to be a Lukewarm Christian?  Simple question and answer.  It’s a yes or a no?  My prayer and God’s desire is that it’s a yes.  Here’s what I would advise you to do…JUMP INTO GOD with your whole self.  Jump from the high dive and hit water with the faith of Noah, Abraham, Jacob, and others.  Sink to the bottom and feel Jesus breathing fresh air in your lungs.  Jesus is your sustainer and you will never drown.  Peace be still in any storm that comes your way.  Peace that passes all understanding and the joy of the Lord forever. 

 

If the answer is no or, ummmmm…..well my prayer for you is to consider Jesus once more.  Take a double take and follow him.  It’s not too late.  God isn’t mad at you.  God is pursuing you like the state patrol with his sirens on in the Crown Vic. 

 

Dear God I don’t want to be that guy.  That lukewarm Christian who walks around the pool wondering what it would be like to jump in.  Thank you for giving me life as I am all in.  Who says that black people can’t swim?  I can’t. (no really I can)  You swim for me, praise God. (squirrel J)  In Jesus name Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment