Sunday, January 15, 2012

More...

I guess I am not ready to leave the blog yet... there is still more mulling around in my head about today.  It was different today... every time we go down is different, but today was a lot different than the last month or so.  It was more like back in November when we started going out.  The difference I think was because for the last month... it has been relatively warm compared to the last week.  And if you remember from the last blog... there has been a lot of violence down by the river so people have lost some of their belongings... all of this led to a bit more desperation and urgency....
    We pulled up and right away there were probably 20-25 people waiting for us.  As we were unloading someone from the crowd called out-  "Where's the trailer?"  because usually we have the 2 vehicles plus a trailer full of things for them.  Keith felt like today we needed to just bring the essentials such as hats, blankets, gloves, socks, coats, and toiletries.  Janet and Ken had their rig  and they were unloading as quickly as we were because you could tell that people were anxious to get at it.   As we were unloading the boxes and bags... I felt a little funny (can you say "Awkward") standing there.... this little white lady.... asking all these big men to get in line... and then eventually assigning this one guy as "line leader" so that we could get some crowd control and a little order.  (I didn't have to bring out my teacher voice though, so that is a good thing  lol)  But Keith did almost have to bring out his "bouncer" skills because some guy was trying to cut in front of the line and get at the blankets first.  (And no he has never been a bouncer, but I think he has "skills" lol)   O.K.  anyway.... The urgency was from the cold.... and the growing need....People were genuinely hungry today.   We had sandwiches from last week that I had put away in the freezer, Janet and her family brought sandwiches, Jerry and Mel had candy bags, and Don and Julie had donated more donuts from the days left overs (Thank you Lord!).  People had an urgency and a real need for the shampoo, soap, toilet paper... for the sweatshirts, socks, and gloves....Again I am amazed at how much went... but like always God went one more step and showed me repeatedly how his "enough" is always "enough".  We had run out of food and a new group had walked up.  It is a horrible feeling to say, "I am sorry, but we don't have any more food." Well.... Doug ran over to his truck and brought out a pot of chili-  He said it was only "luke warm" but let me tell you-  Luke warm chili served in a cup with a nice plastic spoon accompanied by some wonderful chips that Keith found in the back of the Suburban (donated by our neighbor- God uses so many people!!! )  made for a wonderful outdoor lunch.  :0)  Let's just say,  God's "enough" is always "enough".  Earlier in the day, this very nice- soft spoken man asked me for a hat... I checked down the line and asked Olivia if there were any more stocking hats... no hats.... but then.. wait... there had been a stocking cap smashed down behind my seat in the truck all week.... I told him to hold on and I ran to look in the truck... yep yep... I was honored to put a nice warm stocking cap on the head of this very thankful man....God's "enough" is always "enough"  It is the fishes and loaves from the bible that always, always, always blows me away.  It doesn't matter if I am at work, at home, or down on 1st street... God is continually showing me that just like in the bible when there was enough "fishes and loaves" to feed the masses.... God always makes "enough" be "enough".  My faith grows by the week as he continually grows me.... I was able to speak with one woman today right before we left... she looked to be about my age or maybe a bit younger.... she was disturbed both mentally and spiritually.... you could tell that she was tormented by her past and by the pain that she was dealing with.  She was a believer, but she talked in confusing circles.... she talked for about 5 minutes with me, but I really can't say what we talked about because it was very confusing.... the gist of it was that she is hurting emotionally, mentally not all there, spiritually searching... then at the very end... she saw something in me (not anything that I can take credit for though... I didn't know what to say, but I said that God wants to grow our joy and heal our pain every day... and that it is a process that he will be working on for as long as we live... even when I am 90 something I know that God will be continuing to grow and stretch my faith and my joy.  Well something of Jesus must of reached her because she smiled a huge smile, grabbed me and hugged me and with a clarity I hadn't seen said, "God bless you... I love you and will see you next week."   Once again I was left with the feeling like... Wow... what the heck just happened... I knew it was a God thing and that I was able to be a part of it.... I was able to witness God speaking to someone's heart....and see what that looked like in her eyes.....  Thank you Jesus for letting me be apart of something called "Life" that is so much huger than me or any one of us.... Thank you for showing me that Your "enough" is always "enough.  I am humbled and thankful!! Thank You Jesus- Amen, Amen!!  :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment